On November 3, 2022, the Government of Saskatchewan introduced Bill 91 The Saskatchewan Employment (Part III) Amendment Act, 2022. The amendments come after engaging stakeholders in a review of the occupational health and safety provisions of the Act.
The amendments include:
- The definition of a worker is being clarified to include secondary and post-secondary students who are on work placements as part of their educational program so that they are covered by the provisions in Part III of the Act.
- Require all employers to have a violence policy and investigate incidents of violence and harassment in the workplace.
- Clarify the work and authority of occupational health officer to take photos and recordings during workplace inspections.
- Authorize officers to exclude nominees from investigation interviews so the process is not influenced by third parties and workers are not led to believe that they are represented by a nominee who does not have the workers’ best interest in mind.
- Housekeeping and general amendments necessary to keep the legislation relevant and aligned with other legislative requirements.
These amendments will help improve health and safety and better meet the needs of modern workplaces.